APPLES are one of the most common fruits, packed with various health benefits which assist in preventing gallstones, detoxifying the liver, boosting the immune system and neutralises irritable bowel syndrome. With all of these benefits, the phrase “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”, should certainly hold a lot of truth.
Quinton Mostert, store manager at Food Lover’s Market at Mall @ Newmarket, has given us tips on the best ways to store apples to prevent it from ripening too soon.
- Always handle apples carefully as they bruise easily.
- It is ideal to store apples in a refrigerator as it would stay fresher for longer.
- It is recommended to store apples in a plastic bag when storing in the refrigerator as it gives off ethylene, while not harmful, the natural gas does make other fresh produce, like lettuce in particular, turn brown sooner.
The Alberton RECORD in corroboration with Food Lover’s Market at Mall @ Newmarket is giving you a chance to win a R500 voucher redeemable at Food Lover’s Market at Mall @ Newmarket.
To enter simply email your name, surname, identity number, postal details and contact numbers to the Alberton RECORD on [email protected], with the subject line: Tip of the Week.
Winners will be contacted via email and vouchers will be sent via mail, courtesy of Food Lover’s Market.
Entries close on Friday, September 30 at 12:00.
Strictly one entry per email address.
See terms and conditions of voucher below:
1. Voucher not redeemable for cash.
2. Voucher entitles the bearer to R500 worth of purchases at Food Lover’s Market at Mall @ Newmarket.
3. Valid for three years from the date issued.
4. Food Lover’s Market and Alberton Record employees are not eligible to enter the competition.
Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.