Promising boxer found guilty of attempted murder

JARED Silverman has been found guilty of attempted murder after a shooting incident that took place in 2014.

The shooting occurred at the Deep in the Woods Festival at Meyer’s Farm, Alberton, on October 4, 2014.

After more than a year of postponements, the trial finally started on January 28, 2016.

Read: Deep in the Woods disaster

The incident appears to have occurred when two festival-goers (Silverman and Bradley Swartz) got into an altercation and Silverman opened fire, wounding three people.

According to several sources, Silverman and the Swartz family, particularly Bradley Swartz’ brother, had been embroiled in a type of feud for quite some time prior to the incident.

Also Read: No peace for Deep in the Woods’ victim

A police reservist who formed part of the security team at the festival told Silverman to drop his weapon and when he refused, the reservist shot and wounded Silverman and took the gun.

Silverman’s sentencing will take place on July 26 at the Palmridge High Court.

Also Read: Silverman shooting trial begins

RECORD contacted various law-enforcement authorities for comment but we have received none by the time of going to print.

Ariella Cameron, who was injured in the shoulder during the incident at the festival, says she won’t be going to the sentencing; “I just want to go on with my life,” said Cameron.

For free daily local news in the south, visit our sister newspapers Alberton RecordComaro ChronicleSouthern Courier and Get it Joburg South Magazine.

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. You can also email our offices on [email protected][email protected] or [email protected]

Add us on WhatsApp today! Alberton Record: 060 644 5264 Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.

  AUTHOR
David Pienaar
Reporter

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top