THE municipal-run old age retirement village, Silwerkroon, has been reporting the broken lift for many months.
Many of the elderly residents have been left either stranded in their homes or unable to do shopping etc, due to the problem.
Themba Gadebe, the spokesperson for the City of Ekurhuleni’s most recent comment is as follows:
“The Human Settlements Department would like to respond with:
• The lift was repaired before the close of council offices in December.
• The service provider refused to switch on the lift prior to the service contract signed as they indicated that it is a requirement in terms of lifts regulations.
• The City of Ekurhuleni cannot sign the service contract without following the supply chain process.
• The necessary procurement process is currently put in place for the procurement of the outstanding services.
• The lift is expected to be functional as soon as the service contract is signed and approved by the stores.”
The RECORD contacted Schindler Lifts, the company who repaired the lift but have not received a reply from them regarding this.
Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.