How to know when an avo is ripe
Avocados do not ripen on the tree, they ripen or soften after they have been picked. They can change from a light green colour to dark green or a deep purplish, almost black colour, when ripe. Colour, however, is not always an indicator of ripeness. Ripeness is determined by consistency or “softness”. The “softening” of an avo can occur at a varying rate, independent of the colour.
Stem method of testing
If you decide to use the stem method of testing whether an avo is ripe, be considerate and only do it after you have purchased the avocado as it compromises the ripening process.
- Pull on the small brown stem of the avocado.
- If the stem does not pull off, the avocado is not ripe.
- If the stem comes off easily, look at the colour underneath.
- If it is brown, the avocado is overripe and its flesh will most probably be brown.
- If the colour underneath is a bright, yellow-green colour, it is ripe and ready to be eaten.